Honey I brought the kids!
A luxe family spa break in London may sound like a contradiction but, mother-of-two CHLOE URQUART discovered if you check into The Metropolitan by COMO it's happy families all round...
Images: Images courtesy of Metropolitan by COMO
Travelling to London with my brood fussing in the back of the car didn't feel like the best start to the relaxing city spa break I had been promised by him indoors...
But 24 hours later as I checked out of the boutique-style Metropolitan hotel, in the heart of Park Lane, I was almost floating on air thanks to a new Honey I Brought the Kids package devised between this family-friendly hotel and COMO Shambhala Urban Escape.
The aptly named Shambhala spa (which means sacred place of bliss) is not only the perfect place for burnt-out mother's, such as myself to unwind, but is renowned for its Mum-to-Be wellness package which includes special pregnancy cushions which allow therapists to work on your back and legs.
The spa, which is conveniently located in the basement of the hotel, is a holistic wellness centre offering Asian-inspired treatments which targets mind, body and spirit. Therapies include deep massage, emotionally rebalancing holistic techniques and facials for restorative skincare. Sleek, minimalist lines ensure a clean, peaceful sanctuary for those looking to escape the pressures of city and family life.
But the big question is, how did I manage to leave my over-excited family and find refuge in the spa for a couple of hours? The answer is simple - some welcome distractions - for both children and my husband - thanks to the hotel's hospitality.
As I sneaked out of my room towards the lift I left my husband sipping a glass of champagne with his feet up in front of a HD movie, my eldest son was tucking into a plate of chocolate cookies and a vanilla milk shake and my youngest was rooting through a big Box of Delights (including some fun London guides, a sticker book and pencils).
Tucked in my fluffy bathrobe was my 25 pound spa voucher which is included in this package for both you and your partner - a very nice touch which tempts you to splash out on your choice of treatment.
The Complete Man
The COMO Shambhala Urban Escape also provided the perfect escape for my husband to find some much-needed 'me time' with a 'Complete Man' Spa experience. The package included a deep tissue massage, facial, hand scrub and nail tidy.
He was then treated to a gift-box of 'Shelter' Spa goodies to use at home.
Ginger & Manuka Honey tea on arrival,
The Complete Man treatment (90 minutes) including a deep tissue massage,
Purify Express facial, hand scrub and nail tidy,
A gift box containing COMO Shambhala Shelter products.
On returning to my room feeling rejuvenated the boys were playing Nintendo Wii dressed in their mini bathrobes, their father was snoozing on the sofa and all that was left on the plate were a pile of crumbs... I don't think they missed me at all!
The SPA Traveller tips
• Don't forget to use your two 25 pound spa vouchers
• The Honey I Brought the Kids package includes mini bathrobes, teddy bears, a box of delights, cookies, milk shakes and use of the Nintendo Wii for your children during your stay
• COCO Shambhala Urban Escape has six treatment rooms - two of which are doubles and they feature steam rooms - the gym and yoga facilities are open from 6am to 10pm.
• Nobu is located in the hotel and is one of the most popular restaurants in London, and certainly the most famous and trendy Japanese restaurant in the city.
• The five-star hotel is ideally located on Park Lane in Mayfair, overlooking Hyde Park and just minutes from Green Park which leads you to Buckingham Palace - Honey I Brought the Kids Costs from 479 pounds per night for two interconnecting Deluxe City
Mum-to-Be Wellness Programme
• For those not quite in need of the Honey I Brought the Kids package why not try the Mum-to-Be Wellness programme?
• This programme takes a holistic approach to wellness throughout your pregnancy and is designed specially to treat you after the first trimester. The deep relaxation treatments include two pre-natal massages, a PURIFY Facial and a pedicure and manicur