A sparkling spa - day or night
CHLOE URQUART discovers the perfect rural retreat for a romantic getaway or mid-week escape with friends…
Images: Courtesy Stanley House Hotel & Spa and The SPA Traveller
Are you tempted by the sound of a diamond facial? This dazzling treatment is now available at Stanley House Hotel & Spa – the only retreat of its kind in the North West of England.
Although the signature Diamond Facial, from Natura Bisse, is one reason to visit this rural spa hotel set in 54 acres of the Ribble Valley in Mellor, Lancashire, we discovered so many more during a relaxing weekend stay en-famille.
Location, location, location is always a factor when you’re choosing your spa experience and it was a relief to discover Stanley House is only a very short drive from the M6 – the perfect place for a wedding if you have family congregating from England and Scotland a mini moon or are just meeting friends.
Although we had no wedding to attend our visit to Stanley House obviously revolved around sampling some treatments in their new spa – and we were not disappointed.
The hill-top hotel is situated in two buildings, with 12 rooms located in the original manor house, a stunning Grade II-listed building which dates back to the 1780s, and another 18 rooms in the new building that was only completed last year. Despite being relatively new the gardens were well tended with eye-catching displays of flowers.
We were shown to the newer part of the hotel which looked out over the countryside beyond. And, the beauty of this particular suite was it was next door to the spa so a quick change into bathrobes and slippers and I was checking in for my treatment.
When I entered the spa it was late afternoon and the sun was still high so I got the impression of a fresh spa full of space and light. But, unlike any other spa I have visited, the atmosphere changed as dusk descended. The mood lighting cleverly transformed the space into a twilight haven in which to escape.
The mood lighting was put to effective use in the bubbling hydro-pool thanks to the visionary designers Howard Spa Consulting, who count London’s Dorchester, L’Oreal Luxe, Paris and Armani spas among their top clients.
And so it was as the sun was setting that I was led to the spacious relaxation room with its eclectic mix of wicker chairs and sofas and very impressive array of refreshments, magazines and even a copy, or two, of Fifty Shades of Grey!
My therapist then took me along to the couple’s treatment room and even asked if I wanted the blind up so I could admire the view but I opted for the more traditional darkened room with soft music.
The treatment started with a very soothing Himalayan Salt Foot Ritual from ILA which immediately de-stresses you – especially for anyone who has had their foot to the pedal for a couple of hours as I had done.
We then moved to the warmed treatment bed where I indulged in a Natura Bisse facial to revitalise and refresh the skin. Ironically, I was due to attend a wedding the coming weekend so felt a little nervous any facial might trigger redness for a few days afterwards.
But I was assured by my therapist that the Natura Bisse products were very kind on sensitive skin especially their Tolerance range which she used on my face with amazing results. And the piece de resistance was the Sheer Touch (with SPF 20) which she added when I left giving me a golden glow.
I finished my ritual with a Deluxe Manicure, with products from The Organic Pharmacy, which included a warm hand mask followed by a soothing massage which left my hands feeling hydrated and an extra pop of colour was added with the pink varnish. I was good to go.
The SPA Traveller tips
• The Day Spa is purpose-built to create a ‘journey’ of discovery. Treatment rooms, relaxation rooms, thermal suite, hydro pool and relaxing settings, all have rural views
• A Thermal and Hydro Suite offers many choices and experiences that are different from the norm. Rural views abound, including a stunning, fully glazed sauna and hydro pool.
• A sense of luxury is evident throughout the concept. Enjoy a ‘one on one’ seated check in; private dressing/grooming rooms; spacious spa lounge; a purpose built Double Treatment Suite with Rasul or private Steam Room and double aspect views and imaginative mood lighting within the Thermal and Hydro Suite.
• Within the Single Treatment Suite, the Pacific Spa Bath has 148 spa massage nozzles grouped to address 14 body zones, along with its own extensive menu of treatments.
• And once you have visited the spa pop along to the popular Grill on the Hill restaurant or the more relaxed Mr Fred's which both welcome children.
What is the Diamond Facial by Natura Bisse?
• For those looking to add bling to their beauty regime, the Natura Bisse diamond treatment involves a triple massage using crushed diamond elements which penetrate the deepest layers of the skin.
• The diamond residue is lifted from the skin with magnetic gloves, which is claimed to help repair DNA and a diamond cream moisturiser to bring increased hydration to the skin.