Powers of Argan Oil
Tried and Tested: Nourishing Facial Argan Oil by Essence of Morocco
Images: Image courtesy Essence of Morocco
There is something extremely powerful about using an oil from a tree that has a life span of 300 years and is regarded as the oldest tree in the world.
The silver bottle of Nourishing Facial Argan Oil, known as liquid gold, therefore had a lot to live up to as I put my faith in it to give my skin a boost and soothe signs of redness and breakouts I had been suffering from recently.
This product from Essence of Morocco is deemed by them to be 100 per cent natural and the oil kernels for this glossy oil are hand-picked by local women - who have known the power of this ‘tree of life’ for centuries.
My first impression on pumping the oil onto my palm was how quickly it absorbed into my skin and, surprisingly, was not at all greasy. After gently cleansing and exfoliating, I slightly warmed the oil and gently massaged it into my face using a circular motion as it suggested on the bottle.
As it is rich in Vitamin E, which is an essential fatty acid and antioxidant, experts believe it can help with many skin conditions, from dry skin and wrinkles to psoriasis, eczema, acne and rosacea. This is because the oil naturally hydrates and protects the skin and generally Argan oil can also be used to strengthen hair and nails. Moroccans also put the oil in their food which is one of the best ways to reap its health benefits.
I used it as my night-time moisturising treatment for a week but after just two applications I started to feel that my skin was softer and more nourished and the outbreaks of red on my cheeks had started to fade.
As the week progressed, my face looked more youthful and foundation, which had previously looked a bit dry, was easily absorbed and my complexion started to look more dewy then blotchy.
I guess that's why Moroccan women have used it as part of their beauty routine for centuries - but now the secret's out and there is no going back for this fresh-faced reviewer...
Click here to buy Spa Products and Spa Breaks »
How to get the best from facial Argan Oil
• Warming the oil is vital if you want to get the best out of your oil. Simply warm the oil by placing it on a plate over a bowl of warm water. Ths will gradually heat the oil up.
• Clean and gently exfoliate your skin. Rinse and pat dry with a soft towel.
• Place a small drop of warm Argan oil on the tips of your fingers and with small circular strokes; apply the oil all over the face. Fine lines and wrinkles may appear on the forehead, edges of the eye area, the lower lid and in the edges of the lips.
• Allow the oil to stay on the face; Argan oil is never greasy but light and easily absorbed by the skin.
• You may choose to repeat this treatment as often as you want, but be very careful not to use the oil on broken or overly inflamed skin. Always ensure you shield your face from the sun if you have just applied the Argan oil.